Thursday, September 27, 2007

What Is A Blog?

A blog is webspace.

What interests me is free webspace and what I can do with webspace I can get for free.

This means that what I want in a blog service is:
  • freedom to customize
  • freedom to innovate
  • freedom to make it look nothing like a blog
  • freedom to extend the meaning of "blog"
In order to get these things, the service must allow me to write (aka copy/paste) html/javascript code. In order to do really cool things, this has to happen at the level of widgets and at the level of at least some of the source code (css etc.)
In order for a service to be useful it must have an intuitive design and a customizable interface.


When I started out, I knew nothing. I have no formal training in this subject. And now I'm giving a talk at a university about blogs...

The blog environment is a perfect sandbox for learning
  • the internet
  • html
  • javascript
  • css
  • web 1.0
  • web 2.0
  • web 3.0
  • rss
  • importance of aesthetics
  • importance of functionality
  • realization that aesthetics and functionality are one